Port Columbus International Airport (CMH)
History, Facts and Overview
(Columbus, Ohio - OH, USA)
The summer of 1929 saw the inauguration of Port Columbus Airport, which immediately began services to a number of US states, including Oklahoma. By 1940, the airport was handling around 15 flights every single day and passenger numbers soon began to grow. The following decade saw the lengthening of the runway, which was extended to 2,440 meters / 8,000 feet.
In 1979, Port Columbus celebrated its 50th birthday in style, spending more than $70 million to completely modernise and renovate the terminal and facilities. A further $15 million was spent in 1989 to build a new concourse and just ten years later, a new retail area and food court were an important part of a £25 million upgrade. More recently, Port Columbus Airport (CMH) built a massive parking garage in 1999 for almost $100 million and in 2004, opened a new modern control tower, which measures some 60 metres / 195 feet.
Essential passenger services within Port Columbus Airport include ATM machines on the ticketing level (second floor), together with a currency exchange booth and post office in the Airport Business Center, which is located near to the Concourse C entrance. There is also a lost property service, while shops and restaurants are in abundance, including a large food court within the very center of the Gateway Plaza.
Popular eateries at Port Columbus Airport include the Arrivederci Bar, Quiznos Sub, Starbucks, Wendy's, Wolfgang Puck and the Columbus Brewing Company, where you can also enjoy beer that has been locally brewed. In addition, there are several other worthwhile facilities and services at the airport, including porter service from Skycaps, a first-aid station, shoeshine, massage chairs, a pet rest area, a Welcome Center for groups, a meditation room and a Business Center, next to the entrance area of Concourse C.